Monday, June 14, 2010

EAT PRAY LOVE - Tale of 3 Countries


A journey of the palate, soul and heart. Traveling to Italy, India and Indonesia to find her core, Liz Gilbert, was given the chance to be "alone", to look for what is essential and find herself.

It was a good read especially if you are into traveling, journeys (literally or figuratively) and finding love. It also came to my life when I want to do something that I love - not that I'm ungrateful for what I have right now, but I also want to do something that brings joy and sends my adrenalin pumping like what I am feeling whenever I have done organizing my home or I have staged my home to entertain friends.

Lately I'm losing what I am essentially. I'm caught up with the many detours of deliverables which I have to do, not because I want to. But like the school kid that I was - I want to be the best in each task - but failing every time despite the "desperate efforts" to win. It came also during the time when what makes me happy was shown on TV ( My very own Passion Movement plug at Lifestyle Network ) and the time that I have to make a hard decision that can change lives.

Reading it was a personal journey - just like the author - but I would have wanted to eat Margherita pizza in Pizzeria da Michele in Naples, sat in a garden full of blooms in Bali or pray in a meditation cave in India. It will make you take a step back and introspect about your personal relationship with the world or with yourself or with God.

It discusses soul mate in a different light not in a fairy tale manner often written in love stories. What I have believed all this time is true after all: "you can never marry your soul mate”.

“A true soul mate is probably the most important person you'll ever meet, because they tear down your walls and smack you awake. But to live with a soul mate forever? Nah. Too painful. Soul mates, they come into your life just to reveal another layer of yourself to you, and then they leave."

In my mind, there isn't one person who can fulfill all your needs - it's not like Home TV Shopping line - "but wait there is more”, more of "there's no more?" .... There are just aspects of your personality that some people can relate to, some who can’t. It's as simple as that. You are lucky if you have found that specific person for your specific need. We are born for specific roles anyway.

There are tifosos (fans) whom you need to fill your self-esteem bucket ... the cafones (assholes) who forced you to be strong and swim in life's current ... codega – “one who leads the way with a lit lantern and wards off thieves and demons”... guru - out of the darkness and into the light ... Ketut - your medicine man ... funny man - someone who makes you smile but takes no particular pull in the romantic landscape ... name behind the ever available icon in your contacts- not appointments needed, no time required, just as long as you need him ... the one that got away – self explanatory ... solace - your hope in times of depression and a witness to a glorious past ... bed buddy- cuddles you through the night ... or simply a shopping companion – the one that agrees with you that there is still room for another one in your shoe cabinet and that you deserve it.

The book is real in many aspects because most of us can totally relate to it. Most parts of the journey is like a bitter pill that you have to swallow - something that is very hard to take in but is essential to get well.

The book's beauty is basically seen through the many lines I have highlighted. Done differently from the other books I've read - I also marked the places , the food, the foreign words - hoping that it will come handy when I will be given the chance to visit the places.

I've only seen Indonesia - not impressive, though I was billeted in one of best hotels the place can offer - maybe because going to a place needs cultural immersion for appreciation. Visit the market, talk to the locals and be brave to taste the food - opening your senses to the different sights and sounds distinct to that place alone. All of which was lost in the millions of Rupiah that I had to count just to buy a toothpaste.

Along came something from the US from my Mamu, Dr. Edith Dalisay (where Liz was living all her life). After reading the book came the bracelet and accessories from Bali, Indonesia given by my good friend, Dr. Arnold Pineda. My bracelet from India came from Dr. Agnes Cruz from her trip to Agra. I got a Murano bracelet from Italy as well from Miles Sabaricos from her European vacation last year. Does it tell me anything? Mere coincidence? Maybe - but then again - "God long ago drew a circle in the sand exactly around the spot you are standing right now.”

There are no coincidences. There is always a cosmic significance to a simple earthy event. Whatever you tell the universe, it will design ways to make it tangible, to make it real. Believe and pray hard … who knows? Love might be knocking on your door tomorrow when you least expect it.

Eat. Pray. Love.

Yummy. Mystic. Cheesy.

Available in National Bookstore. In theaters in August.

2 comments:

  1. Fr. Ms. Myrna Bondad ( my English teacher in High School tru email) : Hi, Vanessa.I read some of your blog entries.My goodness, I can't recall how you wrote your themes back here in SMA but you can give the good writers a run for their money! You impress me as a multi talented lady, oozing with artistic ideas and creativity... I am happy for you. You know, one pleasure us teachers have is to see our students bloom. You are one who has bloomed so lushly and well. Keep it up, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fr. Dr. Levy Jasul in my FB: Impressive account! See you soon to celebrate our birth month. Hmm, kaya pala tayo magkasundo. Hahaha! TC always!
    Saturday at 11:33pm

    ReplyDelete