Friday, August 19, 2011

The Carrie Diaries Quotes - Author: Candace Bushnell


"Sometimes I think all the trouble in the world is caused by men. If there were no men, women would always be happy. ~Carrie"

"In life,there are only four kinds of girls:
The girl who played with fire.
The girl who opened Pandora's Box.
The girl who gave Adam the apple.
And the girl whose best friend stole her boyfriend."

"Funny always makes the bad things go away."

"It was scary how a girl couldn't live without friends."

But every time I feel bad, I try to remind myself about what this little kid said to me once. She was loaded with personality-so ugly she was cute. And you knew she knew it too. "Carrie?" she asked. "What if i'm a princess on another planet? And no one on this planet knows it?" That question still kind of blows me away. I mean, isn't it the truth? Whoever we are here, we might be princesses somewhere else. Or writers. Or scientists. Or presidents. Or whatever the hell we want to be that everyone else says we can't."

"If a woman could take care of herself, would she still need a man? Would she even want one? And if she didn't want a man, what kind of woman would she be? Would she even be a woman? Because it seemed if you were a woman, the only thing you were really supposed to want was a man."

“When it comes to people -- don't write about who you know; but what you know of human nature."

" I don't want to be a writer so I can write about my life. I want to be a writer to escape from it. Then you shouldn't be a writer."

At first, being with Sebastian was like being in the middle of the best dream I'd ever had - but now it mostly feels exhausting. I'm up one minute and down the next; questioning what I say and do. Even questioning my sanity."

"Who am I supposed to be again? Just be yourself. But who am I?"
I can't wait to get out of the house. I can't wait to get out of here. I've been telling myself this all week. The 'getting out of here' part is unspecified, though. Maybe I simply want to get away from life"

"I have this theory: If you forgive someone, they can't hurt you anymore.”

Rule#1: Why is it that the one time a cute guy talks to you, you have a friend who’s in crisis?
Rule#2: Humiliated best friend always takes precedence over cute guy.
Rule#3: Best friends always think you deserve the best guy even if the best guy barely knows you exist.
Rule#4: Best friends can also be full of surprises.
Rule#5: Always agree with your friends, even if it’s at your expense, so they won’t be upset.

I highlight an equation in yellow, thinking about how useless it is to highlight, It makes you think you are learning, but all you’re really learning is how to use a highlighter.

It’s a story I would never show anyone, because it’s too sappy, but I’ve never been able to throw it away. It scares me. It makes me worry that I’m secretly a romantic too, just like my father. And romantics get burned.
Still the Sam bubble had been punctured by Ryan, and then Sam was like a smear of wet soap. That’s all bubbles are anyway – a bit of air and soap.

“Liking the idea of a girl is different from actually liking a girl.” – Maggie

“I think if a guy says you’re interesting and a character, it means you’re special.”

But she never takes her husbands’ names. Mary Gordon Howard is a very great feminist. She believes that women should be able to define themselves and shouldn’t let a man take her identity.

Why are they doing this to me? I can’t explain it. It’s just one of those things girls do. But why? It’s jealousy. But I didn’t think it was jealousy. I thought it was more instinctual, like being a part of a pack of wild animals that drive one animal out into the wilderness to die.

But sometimes, you have to act the opposite of what people expect. They want you to go crazy. They want you to hate them. The more you hate them, the stronger they become.

To be friends with someone for so long, and then they do one thing, and it’s over. And they weren’t a bad person before. Or at least you didn’t think they were. So you have to wonder if that bad thing was always there, waiting to come out, or if it was just a one-time thing, and they’re still a good person, but you can’t trust them.

There are only 2 kinds of people who make great writers – great artists: those from the upper classes, who have access to the finest education – or those who have suffered greatly. The middle classes can sometimes produce a simulacrum of art , but it tends to be middle-brow or slyly commercial and of no real value. It’s merely meretricious entertainment.

The trick to being a queen bee isn’t necessarily beauty but industriousness. Beauty helps, but without the drive to get to the top and stay on top, beauty will only male you a bee-in-waiting.

...cooking is a great way to distract yourself from your problems while providing a sense of accomplishment. You feel like you’re doing something useful even though a few hours later you eat all the evidence.

You can’t steal someone’s boyfriend unless he wants to be stolen.

I have this theory: If you forgive someone, they can’t hurt you anymore.

2 comments:

  1. "If a woman could take care of herself, would she still need a man? Would she even want one? And if she didn't want a man, what kind of woman would she be? Would she even be a woman? Because it seemed if you were a woman, the only thing you were really supposed to want was a man."

    I like this the most. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Carrie Diaries ♥ the books are amazing and I loved the TV show aswell. Can't wait for it to return with another season. Oh and the fashion! Guess in my heart I am little 80's girl. =)

    ReplyDelete